Monday, March 2, 2009

Meet the New YOU

By Bill Mansell
A wise comedian once joked, “wherever I go, I must take myself along – and that spoils everything!” If you woke up on January first this year, and realized, to your dismay, that you have taken the "old you" into the new year. I have good news: the "new you" is just around the corner, waiting to meet you. What is this person like, this "new you?" Thinner? More organized? Better educated? A great communicator? A more caring spouse, parent, or partner? The exciting thing is that you get to decide. Take a moment and think about it. If you could improve any area of your life right now, what would you change? If you were about to be introduced to the ideal "new you," what kind of person would you expect to meet? Write down 3 or 4 of the top attributes that you see in this new you.
Now for the all-important question. What are you going to do about it? If you say, “I sure wish I were that person.” Then you will never become that person. Because wishing and wanting are not enough. Listen to the message in this insightful poem by Richard G. Welch.
                 Decide to Do
The easiest thing, in the world of things,
Is to sit and wait, until somebody brings
Complete instructions on what to do,
And how to do it, and when, to you.
It’s easy then to go straight ahead
And follow orders, just do what they said.
If it comes out wrong, and your work is vain,
Why, that’s for somebody else to explain.
Yes, it’s easy to sidestep and pass the buck,
But, the person who does it is out of luck;
Since the big success always seeks the man,
Who can plan his work, and work his plan.
The power of the one whom the world consults
Is based on this: that he gets results.
If you’d follow in his footsteps, you yes you,
You must learn to decide, then decide to do.
When I was 37, I decided that I wanted to go back to college to get more education. Juggling a full-time career, family, church and community responsibilities were difficult enough without the additional time commitment of school. But it was something that I really wanted to do. I could see the person that I wanted to become and I knew this was an important step. So, I made the commitment and jumped in. At first it was a little strange, sitting in classrooms with other students in their early twenties (they all looked 14 to me). But, once I got started, and developed a regular routine, it wasn’t nearly as difficult as I had worried. In almost no time, I had completed my degree and was well on my way to becoming a new me. 
I challenge you to get started today. Write down the things you want to change. Identify the resources, groups, books, or CDs that can help you. Write out your plan, commit to it, and then take action! Small steps, acted on each day, can effect major changes in your life. Soon, you will walk tall knowing that you have embraced the new you

source:http://www.mindperk.com/resources/articles/74/1/190/Meet-the-New-YOU.html

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Blogger Widgets

Like my work? Buy me a Coffee